With vital business information spread across your company, at different locations, in various databases and data warehouses and now potentially in Big Data platforms like Hadoop, there is no easy way to manage all of this infrastructure let alone get value out of the data that resides in these systems. But there is an alternative to the build-it-yourself Big Data trend of the last 12 months. Managed Big Data services are emerging that are easy to consume and provide a much quicker path to value than rolling out your own.
Watch this recorded webcast as Infochimps and GigaOM Research discuss “selling your big data initiative to your c-suite.”
- Jo Maitland, GigaOm Research Director, Cloud
- Ron Bodkin, GigaOm Analyst & Founder of ThinkBig Analytics
- Dan Olds, GigaOm Analyst & Founder of Gabriel Consulting Group
- Jim Kaskade, CEO of Infochimps
Topics of discussion include:
- Drivers for doing Big Data as a service
- Shortage of expertise; Open Source Software (OSS) products are complex and immature, faster time to value
- Understanding the ecosystem of Big Data cloud services and Big Data managed services
- Infochimps, AWS EMR, SnapLogic, Oversight Systems
- When does the cloud model make sense for Big Data?
- Understanding when “Total Cost of Ownership” or “Total Business Value” becomes the key factor
- Risks, challenges
- Security of intellectual property, transport of data into cloud